Sunday, September 20, 2009

Britney for Babies?

I recently attended Britney Spears' "Circus," that came back to Dallas after having a sold out show six months earlier. Of course, it was an amazing show, and Britney never fails to entertain. It was one of my childhood dreams come true, except Britney in my childhood was sweet, innocent, and wearing pigtails.

There was one thing about the concert that drove me a little crazy, and it didn't have to do with the show. As we walked up towards the American Airlines Center, I started noticing groups of young girls, probably from ages 7-10. My first thought was, were these kids even alive when Britney became famous? But then I noticed, these girls were dressed in knee high boots with heels and short skirts. Really moms? You let your little angels go out like this and then when they are 16 you wonder how they became sluts? As the show started, Britney danced around the stage in basically a bra and underwear as she sang songs such as "Get Naked (I got a Plan)," "Womanizer," and "If You Seek Amy," which we all know is not about finding Amy. They even showed a video with tons of people groping each other. There were guys groping girls, guys groping guys, girls kissing girls, and more. I couldn't help but think of these little girls. First of all, what parents think it's appropriate to bring their 7 year old daughter to a show like this? Second of all, if that generation is being exposed to this, along with tons of other age inappropriate things in society, where is that generation headed? It seems like every generation gets worse. When I was 12 I would stay at home with my best friend and play vet, but now 12 year olds hang out at the mall in their mini skirts and white tank tops.

As we left the concert, I noticed a small t-shirt for sale that was only $20 instead of the outrageous $40. I asked if they were in kid's sizes and was informed they were toddler shirts. Should a toddler really be crawling around in a half naked Britney Spears t-shirt even if they don't know?

Sometimes things in society are really shocking, and I can only wonder what this next generation will bring to the world. I think mom's need to stop adapting to the times, stick to good old parenting, and make sure their child isn't 17 by age 7.



No comments:

Post a Comment