Sunday, September 13, 2009

What Kind of Artist?

In all my life, I used to claim I was not an artist. I was always jealous of those people in art class who made amazing drawings, and who just seemed to be able to do it. I always wished I could just draw or paint naturally, but it was never my best subject.

Over the past few years, I've realized I'm a different type of artist. It may not seem too exciting, and it may not be as praise worthy as some types of artists, but I think I would call myself a crafty artist. Whenever my family or friends have a birthday, or for Christmas, I find myself making something as the present. I've made bulletin boards, picture frames, notebooks, poster collages, blankets, and more. These crafts usually involve painting, or more simply putting things together to look good. I imagine something in my head exactly the way I want it to look, the way everything is laid out, and then I create that image in my head. This past year, I made my own birthday cake and decorated it, which I had recently become interested in.

This is my way of being an artist. It's a great way to be creative, and it is so much fun. So, I no longer think I'm terribly unartistic. I no longer immediately turn away from the thought of drawing or doing anything artistic. I think I've found my own way to be artistic, even if it's a little different.



(bulletin board i made for my sister last christmas) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment