Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Irresponsible VS. Responsible



I have never liked this axe ad. I think this ad, as well as some of their other ads, can be taken in an offensive way. I'm sorry, but I am not going to go running towards a guy because of how they smell. I'm sure there are actually few educated women who would actually want a guy just because of their smell, and this ad just makes women look stupid. Plus, why do they have to be running in their bikinis? I just think this ad is done in poor taste. I understand that axe uses the sex appeal approach, and that may work sometimes, but this commercial itself could have been done in a better way. I just think products don't need to use the sexual approach. Even if it is funny, I think they could have taken a different approach from the beginning and set a whole different standard for their product. I feel like using a sexual approach is like an easy way out, and this commercial especially makes women look like dumb, men chasing, bikini wearing creatures.

Here is an ad that I think is very socially responsible.



In this commercial, AT&T includes information about TOMS shoes. TOMS shoes is an organization that donates a pair of shoes to a child in need anytime someone buys one. AT&T took this opportunity to share the message of this great organization while still promoting their brand. But they took that extra step when they didn't have to. They connected the two in a great way, and were able to raise awareness about a good cause.

I also like this AT&T commercial, that although isn't promoting an organization or cause, sends a good warm message. They make it less about the brand, less about the prices, less about the competition. It leaves you with a good feeling, a feeling that maybe technology does good in the world.



If advertising could start doing warm, socially responsible ads more often to the point where they were the norm and not the exception, that would be a great turning point in advertising. People would have a better attitude about advertising, and maybe social awareness of organizations and issues affecting the world would rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment