Thursday, November 12, 2009

Perfectionism

I'm one of those people who likes everything to be right, perfect, done the way I see it in my head, and the way I think it should be done. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it isn't. And sometimes it just causes unnecessary stress.








I work at Dallas Community Lighthouse, a tutoring center for kids. Today I noticed something pretty cool. Kids don't care whatsoever if something is perfect. They will build a crooked jenga tower and knock it down immediately while they are cracking up, while I try to make the tower perfectly straight and make it stand up as long as possible. They will color a turkey just red and green (apparently it was a Christmas turkey), while I color mine the traditional brown, red, orange, etc.








Why do things have to be perfect? Life isn't perfect. Life is full of coloring outside the lines and towers being knocked over, and maybe if I lived a little bit more like these kids I would be ready for it. I wouldn't stress out, freak out, or not know what to do if something isn't done the way I think it should be.






Here are some things the kids have made me...



Doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment