Friday, November 20, 2009

Young Girls Today

As I was at work today, I noticed something. As the kids get on the computer, the boys start playing shooting and fighting games while the girls immediately go to dress up games. These dress up games are not just picking out clothes for dolls, but it includes makeup - eyeliner, eyeshadow, glitter, blush, and of course sparkles. You also get to choose how big you want your dolls chest to be - small, medium or large, as well as how big her hips are. You go shopping for your doll in the "starplaza" where they give you about twenty different "stores" to shop at. They even include stores like kohls, where advertising comes in and includes video clips urging the girls to make kohl's wish lists. This made me realize how much society is trying to get to children. When I was young, I barely played games on the internet, but if I did it was games like snowboarding or puzzles. These games get into the heads of these girls and tell them that they need makeup, new clothes, and even lets them pick how big the chest should be? The young girls at my work come from low income families, so what is even worse is the fact that they will see all this and think this is what they need. They will think maybe they aren't pretty without makup or without new clothes. What happened to natural beauty? What happened to inner beauty? I never realized to what extent society is corrupting young girls, but it seems the dove campaign was right on the mark about this subject.



Here is one of the sites:



www. stardoll.com

No comments:

Post a Comment